Quebec Man Cycles and Runs 6,200 Kilometres Across Canada in Support of Make-A-Wish®
August 9, 2016, TORONTO – Sheraz Asghar is no stranger to extreme physical challenges or adventure races, hence his latest quest to cycle and run 6,200 kilometres across the country in support of his charity of choice, Make-A-Wish®.
The Quebec man considers himself an ultra-runner, not a cyclist. In the past, he has completed a few ultra-challenges, like the Yukon Arctic Ultra, but his journey across Canada has evolved into something bigger than anything he has ever undertaken before.
“I am attempting to bike and run across Canada. In the past, I have done a few extreme races that proved to be mentally and physically rewarding,” says Asghar. “Now, I want to do something more . . . something more meaningful. The best place to start is by helping our children, so I'm raising funds for Make-A-Wish to support its mission to grant wishes to children with life-threatening medical conditions.”
Asghar’s exhilarating adventure kicked off in July in Vancouver, averaging 160 to 220 kilometres each day without any major setbacks. As of today, Asghar is now in northern Ontario heading towards North Bay on highway 11.
When asked if he’s had any bumps along the way, Asghar says he’s run into some thunder storms, resulting in a really wet tent and soaked sleeping bag. “It got really rough. But this isn't major,” he says. “I would say overall the toughest part of this journey is adaptability and being exposed to nature for a continuous and prolonged period of time.”
Media and the public are encouraged to meet Asghar and cheer him on as he passes through the eastern portion of his journey:
- Asghar is expected to arrive in Ottawa and Montreal between August 15-17 and will complete his trip in Halifax on or around August 27. Make-A-Wish will have representation in these three cities to greet and cheer him on.
- Exact dates and arrival times will be confirmed three days prior to arrival.
- Follow Asghar’s progress and see his GPS coordinates here.
- See his trip mapped out across the country.
- Check out his trip photos along the way on his blog.
- Donate to Asghar’s fundraising efforts to support Make-A-Wish.